Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Reflection # 9

Discuss the role of emotional language in your L1 and L2. Which language is emotionally richer. As your learners acquire (participate?) in their new speech communities do you see a change in their emotional language behavior. Reflect on the notion of (re)construction of delft in your own L2 or L3 learning experiences.

What I can say about the emotional language in my L1 and L2 is that for me, my L1 is emotionally richer than my L2 for obvious reasons.
Again, what I know about me, is that it is easy to express my emotions as happiness or anger in L1 because I feel it more genuine and understandable of what I want to express. For instance, if I get mad with somebody, I do not even know how to respond or defend myself because of the use of the language. Until now I have not been in a situation of "fight" for a particular reason, but I am sure that maybe I will use first my L1 to say everything that I want, and then I will use L2 to explain my points to the person.
According to what we reviewed in class, it is understandable for must of the people speaking more than one language, that their emotional language will be their L1 in most of the cases.
Juanita A.

3 comments:

Kinder Rocks said...

Juanita,

I have heard you express yourself in your L1. You do that very well. your L2 is fine. Remember everything we have learned about language in this class. Language is a process.

Rosario

Alfonso Cruz said...

First, I hope I am not on the receiving end of your fight. I would have to agree that most second language learners feel more comfortable in L1, and so express themselves in that language. As the example given in class with Ricky Ricardo on I love Lucy.

Joleen J said...

Hola, Juanita.

Of course we are more comfortable in L1; it is the language of home, of family, of our cultures in so many cases! Nice job on the presentation today!!! I loved the puzzle.